WindowView Thesis on Change
Thesis: Changes observed today ... and into tomorrow—especially environmental changes, along with global political and economic factors—will progressively drive humanity toward a previously recorded biblical chronology of future events.
At first, many of us, you too, might reject this thesis because of a scriptural connection. That would be a serious mistake because the information within is what drives this change scenario. In fact, evidence for this is surfacing today. This thesis holds that many humans will, uncritically, accept a transition away from norms held in decades past, to following a single global leader's authoritarian actions that will be promoted as necessary for survival on Earth. This is not simply 'going green for the common good,' because material trade and abuse of the earth also continue under this global leadership. The chronology states there will be, in time, an end to this abominable process. What comes next is important to everyone.
We are all concerned by threats to our survival. An initial look to the current scientific data reveals numerous potential threats (as noted below). From this vantage point, there is evidence for linking change now to future events in a context recorded two thousand years ago. Change now is part of what conveys all humanity to those events.
What is on this Thesis Page:
First a brief review of environmental changes on earth today.
Second, a look at the transition that moves us into the chronology. The following is described in plain language. A more detailed presentation comes with other window perspectives, the TimeLine, and an overall summary provided in the Convergence Area.
The data tell us we are at a crossroads: 'Choice or Crisis'
As an example, a case for global environmental change is documented in recent reports:
• International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) annual reports
• 2014 release of the U.S. National Climate Assessment
The data clearly indicate specific changes and future trends are geographically extensive.
The worldwide change scenario today flows into the global context of events tomorrow.
Doubt The Source?
Occasionally, press releases point to reporting errors or contentious disputes over the validity and true source of climate change. This distracts from the scientific process, error correction, added study, report updates, and validity of the overall message: "Change is REAL." No matter what the source is, negative impacts observed today are expected to continue in the years and decades to come.
Without rewriting the extensive accounts for change, the following examples briefly depict an extensive complex picture:
• Environmental Impacts: Sea Level Rise, Ocean Acidification, Ice [Glacier Melt; Arctic Ocean Ice], Permafrost Melt and Methane Release, Temperature Increases [Air, Ocean, Land], Weather [Extreme Events; Flood (Inland; Coastal); Drought], Fire, Deforestation, CO2, Methane, Ozone, Particulate Matter [Air Pollution], Water [Pollution]
• Human Population Impacts: Distribution, Traffic Patterns, Land Use [Urbanization; Erosion; Degradation], Ocean Fishery Depletion, Resource Use, Consumer Consumption, Waste Generation, Water [Use; Depletion], Conflict, Diseases
To support the thesis on Change, various articles are offered here. Some are older and need updating. Others are consistently relevant, such as: Four Megaphenomena (Carbon Spike, Population Spike, Consumption and Extinction ... all on the rise), Surprise Attacks, Threats to Survival, Control of Information, Living in Denial, and Conflicts to Come. This is not just a weather and climate issue, change comes at us from all types of stresses and global factors.
The bottom line regarding the environment is simple, human population is at an all-time historic high. Any vulnerability subject to climate changes, such as food supply, human habitat, or economy, means global distress never before seen on the planet. Current indicatiors point to global stress mounting further with time—with implications for every person on earth.
• Social Change: How people behave, their life style, material expectations, economic status, and beliefs factor into global changes. Social change feeds into a transition to be observed here.
• Future events: As referenced in Scripture, indicators include a breakdown in morals, religious strife, fractured families, greater crime, increase in use of drugs, human trafficking (slavery and selling souls), persecution and murder, making wrong over right, continued international conflicts, famine, and problems that reveal humanity as a sea of unrest and discontentment. These become "signs of the times" which are a clue to what lies ahead for everyone. Look around, consider the implications to the realization that these events are current.
Corporate human acceptance that social norms simply change—even to the point of saying bad is good, good is bad—is a sign that we have crossed a dark threshold leading to serious social consequences. Thatís how it happens, we seamlessly slip into it, just accepting social changes as a part of daily events, and the price to be paid comes later. But at what price?
• Tansition Examples: After years of prohibition in the US, alcohol was made a legal consumable and marijuana is presently following the same track. Might this be a trend gaining momentum around the globe? After marijuana, what next, other drugs? This speaks to 'drug' use on the rise and social acceptance for people altering one's state of mind for personal pleasure or to escape stress. So, what's the harm in this? The present example is simply an observation for change—this is happening now. Going forward, the scriptural description of further drug use comes with dark behaviors that change the complexion of human beliefs and bizarre activities.
A global shift in defining marriage partnerships to include same-sex individuals by default accepts behavior that is counter to biblical teaching. This shift swept across many nations—including secular and religious institutions—around the world redefining marriage. Former opposition is put down and broad acceptance makes this an apparent seamless change. Again, this example is simply an observation for social change.
Easily rationalized as permissible, humans today accept transitions that in effect turn a blind eye to a higher standard put in place millennia ago. Sometimes big changes come quietly. The only consequence is if the higher (biblical) standard holds weight and a future judgment is made based on that standard. Time will tell if that happens—the Scriptures say it will—so sooner or later change on different levels has an impact. Does that affect you? Why be concerned?
Changes due to climate, population, and other factors leads to conditions that beg an ever more urgent world-wide response. One logical mechanism is a coordinated political solution. What might precipitate the urgency?
Consider the effects of sea level rise of several feet. Coastal and island populations will shift to higher ground. Human infrastructure, housing, services, and daily life will require trans-location and rebuilding with a huge price tag. Who will pay? Could this really happen?
Now as permafrost thaws in northern latitudes, methane releases result (methane is a potent greenhouse gas for trapping heat in the atmosphere). As this accelerates the earth's surface temperature increase, more ice melts, and the more sea level will rise. The effect is a global change cascade—one into the next like falling dominoes. Today, the permafrost thaw is ongoing in northern Russia, Alaska and Canada.
A recent assessment states: "... the $60 trillion price-tag for Arctic warming estimated by the latest Nature commentary should be taken seriously, prompting further urgent research and action on mitigation - rather than denounced on the basis of outdated, ostrich-like objections ... " [Read the full story] Sixty trillion dollars equals the annual global economy (i.e. global GDP) and that is the estimated amount required to respond to this one impact from climate change.
Environmental issues develop in the background of concurrent social, economic, and political conflicts. A world that calculates stability in terms of rising productivity and national GDPs is heading in an unsustainable direction. Everyone does this today, even the socialist and communist states! Current habits, especially with expanding use of non-renewable resources, feed negative outcomes. Make no mistake, wonderful technological advances and regional programs continually offer promise. However, the chronology for the future reveals trade and material economic forces continue to work in a way that abuses the earth.
Briefly put, the earth encounters a series of changes through conflict, famine, extreme events (earthquake, weather), that challenge humanity's material existence. Some of these are 'environmental types' as described on the Overview page. This opens the door to a charismatic strong leader—a 'Strong Man'—who garners world attention. This is an apparent peace maker who, at first, walks onto the world stage like a Caesar, one whom the world puts on a pedestal. He garners much attention and even brings calm to the Middle East with the signing of a seven year agreement.
For a time there is a sense of unification to the global political theater. This brings a transition that draws nations together and consequently offers hope for continued material prosperity and greater security. One likely driving force for this transition is an opportunity for a strong leadership response to the continued threat of environmental changes. Someone or something has to make a difference, but how? The "Strong Man" surfaces to offer words of hope and direction.
Regarding social change, another character arises. This is a confederate, one who is like the Strong Man and one who will demand allegiance and faith in a global system that arises from this new leadership. What develops next is a consolidation of global power and formation of ten regional governments, trading blocks, or as referenced in Scripture these are kingdoms that blanket the earth. For a time, each of these kingdoms has its own leader, ten leaders for the entire world.
An added momentum in the transition occurs as the strong leader deposes several of the regional leaders—thus taking lead of all ten kingdoms. This puts one global leader over all people on earth. Evidence from the Scriptures indicates commerce continues and businesses thrive and merchants are made wealthy. The government implements a means to track all human activity. Buy or sell, the government's network records and traces every transaction. Perhaps in the name of controlling activities to minimize the damaging effects of environmental changes ... perhaps more-so, over time, to just take control of all human behaviors. Inconceivable? Not really. How often does a store use a scanner and computer used to register your purchase? How immediate is the Internet to networking information across the globe? In fact, communications globally—right now—are as immediate as the hand held mobile devices owned by billions of people all over the planet.
The Thesis page on Change is at this point only focusing on change. The plausibility of general concern for human survival develops into a system that leads to global control. The consequences and responses to the one-world government and its leadership are connected to still other scriptural events not addressed here. Some responses are related to environmental events. Other activities have to do with conflicts, a belief system, and human responses to a specific sequence of environmental events—like the sequence of plagues in Egypt, that long ago came by purpose. A presentation on these topics appears on the last segment of the WindowView TimeLine.
There are two concluding points to address on this page.
First, the linkage between Change and a scriptural reference to the end of the abuse of the earth.
Second, a look at the earth in the future ... over and past the coming event horizon. This is a look at the future renewal and later total regeneration of the earth. This is a look at something promised to those who embrace life and a key scriptural promise offered to all.
The center of the larger picture from Scripture is a combination of material and spiritual themes. The woman described below is part of a spiritual system yet to appear on earth. For a period of time this figurehead leads humanity in a global religion—which itself may be focused on material pleasures and bizarre spiritual rituals. This will be like no other religion today and comes with a persecution of all other faiths on earth. But for the present purpose focus on the last words of the passage below:
(4) The woman was clothed in purple and scarlet color, and lavished with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand, full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication; (5) upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH. (Revelation 17:4-5)
Abominations of the earth, taken in the material sense is further explained in the reactions of merchants who see the Strong Man defeat the woman—thus overtaking her false religion by his own power. The center of her commerce, the material hub of worldly wealth is put to ruin. This ends her abuse of the earth and symbolizes how wrapped up in materialism the world continues to be into the future.
The proper reading of the entire context of what is quoted here is certainly appropriate (see entire Chapter 18 here). Selected passages are noted below to emphasize the material practices that flourish under the future one world government during the height of the woman's reign, emphasis added highlights key words:
(13) ... and the merchants of the earth have grown rich through the power of her luxuries." (9) And the kings of the earth, who have committed fornication and lived luxuriously with her, shall weep over her, and lament for her, when they see the smoke of her burning, (10) and they will stand afar off for fear of being involved in her torment, saying, "Woe, woe, the great city, Babylon, the mighty city, for in one hour your judgment has come.'' (11) The merchants of the earth shall weep and mourn over her; for no man buys their merchandise any more; (12) the merchandise of gold, and silver, and precious stones, and pearls, and fine linen, and purple, and silk, and scarlet, and every kind of citron wood, and all kinds of vessels of ivory, and all kinds of vessels of most precious wood, and of bronze, and iron, and marble, (13) and cinnamon, and incense and perfumes, and ornaments, and frankincense, and wine, and oil, and fine flour, and wheat, and cattle, and sheep, and horses, and chariots, and slaves, and souls of men. (14) "And the fruits that your soul so desired have departed from you, and all things which were luxurious and sumptuous have departed from you, and you will not find them anymore. (15) The merchants of these things, who were made rich by her, shall stand a distance away because of the fear of her torment, weeping and wailing, (16) and saying, "Woe, woe, the great city that was clothed in fine linen, and purple, and scarlet; and adorned with gold, and precious stones, and pearls! (17) For in one hour such 'great wealth has been destroyed." And every ship master, and all the ship companies, and sailors, and as many as trade by sea, stood a distance away (18) and cried when they saw the smoke of her burning, saying, "What city is like this great city?" (19) They cast dust on their heads, and cried, weeping and wailing, saying, "Woe, woe, the great city, in which all who had ships on the seas were made rich by reason of her wealth! For in one hour she has been destroyed." (Revelation 18:verses identified in text above)
The global material industries that use the earth's natural resources, process precious commodities, metals, jewels, and consume power, generate greenhouse gases, and require services of the merchant marine vessels all speak to an unending material trade. The woe spoken at the demise of this global fascination with wealth and luxury is an answer to he question: "Will humans ever achieve a sustainable planet?" Will humanity turn from material ways to assure life continues on Earth—for many generations to come—for thousands or perhaps millions of years?"
At this point, the Change Thesis is presented for your discernment.
There is one last scriptural perspective to add ... see below ... because an end to the woman for her abominations and the associated abuses to the earth do not end the chronology of events. In fact, one underlying Window theme is renewal, and that is certainly what comes next.
How we live on this planet will reflect choice for here and hereafter. Global change provides incentive to make a choice.
What is New on the Horizon
One of the WindowView illustrations focuses on a sequence of "environmental types" that come as material events during the era and reign of the one-world government described above. Each type is a judgment that presents itself in an earthly context—e.g., hail, drought, fire, pollution—but in a supernatural manner. The events are quite devastating in their own right. Again, direct your attention to the last segment of the WindowView TimeLine to explore those events in more detail.
There is, however, a significant next phase described in Scripture as a renewed earth is occupied for a thousand years. These are the years of a single Kingdom promised by Scripture.
Another Transitional Change ...
17 For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; And the former shall not be remembered or come to mind. 18 But be glad and rejoice forever in what I create; For behold, I create Jerusalem as a rejoicing, And her people a joy. (NKJV Isaiah 65:17-18)
There is one last change that is beyond our comprehension from a present day perspective. Note the subtle difference in the quotations above and below. What is new the first time is actually a renewal. The second 'new' is distinguished from anything that existed previously. Therefore, beyond the Kingdom period on earth, there is a final change, which is as dramatic a change as stripping away the universe—all stars and galaxies removed—to reveal existence in a new eternal context.
Final Complete Change Transition ...
Re 21:1 Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea.
Change puts everything we see into a context of motion, time, and a need to respond ... both in material and spiritual terms ... in the latter case, that may require a renewal, a whole new change for you.
Key Scenario: The Change Area thesis then moves us from the material experience on earth to a spiritual awareness, and thus reveals both a value and a purpose to life that transcends everything we see in the window today. This scenario awakens us to the anticipated chronology of events ahead.
One More Reflection: Consequences to Change
The following video includes a message on consequences if changes continue unabated. The idea of crossing a threshold is important because at some point certain impacts become irreversible. A rosy ending to the video betrays the fact that each year little is really accomplished on the international stage. Overall, the longer humanity struggles with every other aspect of sustaining national interests ahead of global concerns, the potential to cross thresholds exists .
But remember, the secular concerns expressed here come from a perspective that is not all inclusive. There is more that the window reveals. We acknowledge that change as a driving force will bring us back to that deeper look within ourselves, at life, purpose, and the future.